Are vertical blinds still in style? Our Design Experts Weigh In.
What’s on trend when it comes to blinds? Are vertical blinds still in style today? Are they worth the money? We know that when you’re looking for blinds to cover specific spaces, you will run across vertical blinds and you’re probably wondering if they are still in style and worth using. We see the latest trends and can help you navigate if vertical blinds are right for your space.
Vertical blinds continue to remain in style and popular in homes for a number of reasons. While they made their peak appearance in the 80’s and 90’s as a style choice, today they continue to dominate because they are so extremely versatile.
- Light control – control the amount of light coming into the space.
- Large Spaces – great for slider doors and other large windows
- Foundation Blinds – Great option for a primary set of blinds or window coverings that are then embellished with a more styled curtain around them.
- Affordable – Vertical blinds are still in style largely because they are such a great value for homeowners.
- Repairs – Since vertical blinds have multiple parts that are easy to get to, they are fairly easy to repair if you need to fix a few pieces. These become extremely popular and make for a longer lasting product overall.
Are vertical blinds in style for every window?
In past decades, vertical blinds were extremely popular for almost any window. In recent years, the popularity of vertical blinds has focused mainly the slider door space, rather than other everyday windows. We are seeing this shift simply because there are so many other great choices to choose from for these other spaces. That said, the classic vertical blind is still extremely functional and desirable for back doors and slider doors, making it a longstanding popular choice!
What are you other options?
If you just aren’t digging the look of vertical blinds, or wanting to consider another option, here are a few other types of window coverings you might choose:
- Extra Long Solar Shades – These can be made in multiple widths to help you customize and fit your space. They provide a more modern look, while controlling the sun’s rays.
- Cellular Shades – Cellular shades can be designed to run the full length of a slider door, making it a great option to block out the light, keep the internal temperature regulated, and provide some privacy. These have to be either all up or all down across the width of a back door area, though.
- Sliding Panels – Go for a more modern, slightly Scandinavian look, with panels on a sliding track. You can have some fun with patterns and colors, and play with transparency some here too!
- Curtains – Standard curtains on a track can provide you a beautiful look that you can truly customize to your interior design and work with the nature of the back sliding door. You don’t have nearly as much control over light (either closed or open), but these can be a great decorative solution if you don’t want to use vertical blinds alone.
- Combinations – Vertical blinds are in style still largely because they can provide the background, with other decorative window coverings on top. By designing your window covering solution this way, you have the complete control that the vertical blinds give you to directing light, while getting other benefits like decoration, thermal insulation, and more. When you use vertical blinds with other window coverings too, often the vertical blinds visually blend into the background.
Are vertical blinds still in style in today’s world? There are so many factors that go into answering this question, but if we base it off of use and popularity, we’d say they are still in style. The better question is if they are right for you! Just because something is “in style,” doesn’t mean that it is the right choice for your home. Our experts can help you find the right solution for your windows and truly make your home shine like it was meant to!